Saturday, November 04, 2006

It's not been a good week...

Sunday, the 29th, my Uncle passed away. Thus began the start of "the not good week". I found out about my Uncle on Wednesday. Why didn't my relatives have my phone number? They called an Aunt of mine who proceeded to call me at work. I immediately thought, oh no, something happened to that side of the family. No, I was wrong. Something happened on the other side of the family. The good side. The best guy. The sweetest man on this earth who would get up in the middle of the night to help anyone. He was a preacher, a family man, a car salesman (I know, ironic, isn't it?), a fisherman, and most of all, the husband of 54 years to my Aunt. Can you imagine being married for 54 years? I can't even imagine having a relationship anymore that would last a month. Needless to say, I had to make a rush trip to Oklahoma on Wednesday. They were able to get in touch with me just in time for me to attend the funeral on Thursday. I keep kicking myself because I've been wanting to go up there all last month. Next time, I'll listen to myself. A word of advice though: NEVER EVER hit Fort Worth at 5pm on a weekday. It took me an hour and a half to drive through it. Fortunately there were no major accidents in which to slow me down even more. I arrived back home on Thursday night at 8pm. Totally exhausted, emotionally and physically. A small price to pay to say my goodbyes to this man, my Uncle. Sighs.

No comments: